One of the greatest British comics, Benny Hill has been making audiences laugh for decades. This funny man is known for saying
- “Just because nobody complains doesn’t mean all parachutes are perfect,”
- “Do unto others, then run,”
- “I’m not against half-naked girls–not as often as I’d like to be,”
- “Girls are like pianos. When they’re not upright, they’re grand,” and
- “That’s what show business is, sincere insincerity.”
Though many in England have complained about the sexist nature of his comedy and his television show, American audiences thought he was cleaver and witty. Many see his work as a part of the great music hall tradition. Such diverse celebrities as Charlie Chaplin, Burt Reynolds, and Michael Jackson expressed their pleasure in watching the comedy/ variety shows of Benny Hill.
He left this mortal coil in April of 1992 but can still be seen on old VCR tapes in your grandfather’s basement.
In 2005, the animated show Robot Chicken lampooned Benny Hill in a way that Hill himself probably would have appreciated.